This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Craving cheesy, saucy comfort food that’s perfect for a weeknight meal? This hearty beefaroni is the way to go. Each macaroni noodle traps the cheesy, meaty, garlicky sauce inside, so every bite has incredible flavor. Easy to prepare and picky eater-approved, this is one dinner you don’t want to miss out on.
You’re going to love this beefaroni so much, I’ll give you some ideas on what to try next that’s similar: cheeseburger casserole, taco spaghetti, and American goulash! They’re all meaty, cheesy pasta dishes that are so delicious!
If you’re looking for a quick and easy dinner recipe that the whole family will love, this is it. Beefaroni checks all the boxes. Easy, cheesy, meaty, and ready in 30 minutes. What could be better?
This beefaroni recipe is definitely picky eater approved, my youngest thought it was the most amazing dinner ever and was licking her plate clean. Trust me, once you get a taste you’ll understand! This recipe is so simple and delicious, it’s sure to be in the dinner rotation for a long time!
This is everything you’ll need to make some homemade beefaroni. Good news is, it’s all pretty simple and also easy to customize with your favorite sauces, mix-ins, you name it! Check out the recipe card at the end of the post for measurements.
- Elbow Macaroni: These classic pasta tubes hold the sauce beautifully and bake up perfectly cheesy.
- Lean Ground Beef: Go for 85/15 or leaner to minimize grease and keep the dish lighter. Brown it well for rich flavor.
- Yellow Onion: Adds sweetness and depth to the sauce. Mince it finely for flavor in each bite.
- Garlic: Because you can never go wrong with garlic! Fresh is best, but jarred will also work. Garlic adds the perfect savory flavor to the beefaroni.
- Paprika: Nice and smoky, paprika gives the beefaroni sauce a hint of warm spice.
- Oregano: Earthy and delicious, oregano adds a touch of Italian flair to the sauce.
- Salt and Pepper: Adjust to your preference!
- Canned Tomato Sauce: Choose a good quality sauce for the best flavor base.
- Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese: Melts beautifully and also adds a creamy, savory flavor to the sauce. Don’t skimp!
How to Make Beefaroni
It only takes 30 minutes total, the perfect dinner option for busy weeknights! Beefaroni is so easy to make and always a hit. I love it just as much as my kids do!
- Cook Pasta: Cook the pasta according to the package directions, drain and then set aside.
- Cook Beef and Onions: In a large skillet over medium high heat, cook the ground beef and onion together until the beef is completely browned and the onions are translucent.
- Add Garlic and Seasonings: Add the garlic to the skillet and cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Season with paprika, oregano, salt and pepper. Then stir to combine.
- Combine: Add the tomato sauce to the skillet and saute everything together 2-3 minutes. Add the macaroni and mix well. Cook for another 2-3 minutes until everything is well incorporated and heated through.
- Enjoy: Remove from heat and serve with a generous helping of shredded cheddar cheese.
Tips and Variations
A few ways to customize your beefaroni and make it with ingredients you already have on hand:
- Switch Up the Pasta: You don’t necessarily have to use elbow pasta for this recipe, shells or bowties work great as well!
- Add Veggies: Feel free to personalize your beefaroni with additional vegetables like chopped bell peppers, zucchini, or carrots. Give them a quick sauté with the garlic and onions.
- Make it Creamier: Stir in a dollop of sour cream for some tangy goodness!
Storing Leftover Beefaroni
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave or over the stove on medium heat until warmed through when you want an easy and delicious meal! Leftover beefaroni is perfect for a quick lunch.
Pin this now to find it later
Cook the pasta according to the package directions, drain and set aside.
In a large skillet over medium high heat, cook the ground beef and onion together until the beef is completely browned and the onions are translucent.
Add the garlic to the skillet and cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Season with paprika, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
Add the tomato sauce to the skillet and saute everything together 2-3 minutes. Add the macaroni and mix well. Cook for another 2-3 minutes until everything is well incorporated and heated through.
Remove from heat and serve with a generous helping of shredded cheddar cheese.
Calories: 217kcalCarbohydrates: 29gProtein: 17gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.5gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0.2gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 818mgPotassium: 605mgFiber: 3gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 697IUVitamin C: 9mgCalcium: 37mgIron: 3mg
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.