The AirPods Pro 2 are the best wireless earbuds for most iPhone users, offering a rich set of advanced features in a compact design. Of course, one of the most important parts of trying out your earbuds is ensuring they fit your ears perfectly. If you’ve just set up a pair on your iPhone, you may have noticed the Ear Tip Fit Test option. This test is currently exclusive to the AirPods Pro, and we advise all users to take it at least once.
What does the Ear Tip Fit Test do?
One of the neat perks that the AirPods Pro offer is Active Noise Cancelation (ANC). This feature helps block surrounding sound for you to focus or enjoy a more immersive audio listening experience. For ANC to work, Apple relies on silicone tips that rest in your ear canals. A good seal is key to an effective ANC and a richer bass. Consequently, the company includes several tips in the AirPods Pro box to match different ear sizes. So, to help you choose the correct tip size, it has built the Ear Tip Fit Test. Through it, you can ensure you’re making the most out of your AirPods Pro and getting the best possible listening experience.
What ear tip sizes can I choose between?
The medium ear tip is installed by default when unboxing a new pair of AirPods Pro. First-gen users can find small and large extra tips in the box, while second-gen owners receive the same tips in addition to an extra small variant. It’s worth noting that the AirPods Pro 2’s tips aren’t compatible with those of the AirPods Pro 1 and vice versa. Apple claims the mesh is significantly denser on the first-gen tips, causing a noticeable difference when installed on the AirPods Pro 2. Below are the steps you need to follow to perform the Ear Tip Fit Test and find the suitable size on iOS 17 and earlier versions.
How to perform the Ear Tip Fit Test
To perform the Ear Tip Fit Test, do the following:
- Wear your AirPods Pro.
- Launch the Settings app on iOS.
- Click on your AirPods’ name at the top
- Tap on Ear Tip Fit Test.
- Click on Continue.
- Tap the Play button at the bottom.
- The AirPods Pro will play a very short audio track to test the fit. Don’t remove your AirPods during the process.
- Once the track ends, it’ll display the results for both ears. Note that each ear could require a different tip size as they’re not identical.
- If the test succeeds, click on Done in the top right corner. If the seal is bad, try a different tip size and repeat the Ear Tip Fit Test until you get a good seal.
How to switch the AirPods’ silicone ear tips
To switch between different ear tips, follow the steps below:
- Firmly hold the silicone tip from its base, where it attaches to the actual AirPod.
- Pull it out.
- Hold the new tip from its base and align its oval-shaped connector with the AirPod, as shown in the image.
- Push it in until you hear a click sound.
- Repeat the process for the second AirPod.
The AirPods Pro cater to different ear sizes
As you can see, no matter your ear size, you likely will find a silicone tip that suits you. Thanks to the Ear Tip Fit Test, you don’t have to guess whether the seal is good or the tip should be replaced. Instead, you click a button, and iOS handles the rest. The process takes just a few minutes, and there’s generally no need to perform it more than once per user.