This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Fresh and flavorful, La Scala Salad is a copycat recipe of the famous Italian chopped salad served at La Scala restaurant in Beverly Hills. Rumor has it, Kim Kardashian orders this salad often, and for good reason! It’s packed with delicious ingredients and crunchy texture, thanks to the chickpeas, salami, mozzarella cheese, and a zesty red wine vinaigrette.
Copycat La Scala Salad Recipe
There is not much better than a fresh green salad with plenty of texture, and this La Scala Salad may just be one of the best chopped Italian salad recipes I’ve made! It’s no wonder that it recently became very popular on social media! Surprisingly enough, this viral recipe has actually been around since the 1950s. It was invented by Jean Leon, the owner of La Scala, a Beverly Hills restaurant. Supposedly, the Kardashians and other celebrities often visit La Scala to enjoy the delicious Italian-chopped salad. Once you try it, you’ll see why it’s so popular!
I love recreating viral recipes, and this one was definitely a hit! With the fresh crisp lettuce, chickpeas, salami, cheese and red onion, it’s packed with so much delicious texture and flavor. Make it a complete meal and pair it with thick and slightly chewy Focaccia Bread for the perfect side.
Ingredients in La Scala Salad
The list of ingredients in this La Scala Salad recipe are super enticing; from the fresh veggies to the slightly spicy salami and delicious dressing. Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Lettuce: Use a mix of chopped romaine lettuce and chopped iceberg lettuce for wonderful color and crunchy texture.
- Chickpeas: Mix drained and rinsed chickpeas in for extra protein and heartiness.
- Italian Salami: The addition of salty meat makes this salad so special. The savory, spicy flavor is a tasty contrast to the fresh, crisp lettuce and tangy dressing.
- Mozzarella Cheese: The perfect finishing touch!
- Red Onion: Slice thin so your salad has just enough sweet and slightly pungent flavor.
This red wine vinaigrette is super versatile and tasty. It would work well on almost any fresh green salad you’re serving!
- Olive Oil: Use a mild oil that pairs well with the vinegar and spice. Olive oil is always my go-to with salads!
- Red Wine Vinegar: So the dressing has a nice zip and tanginess!
- Dijon Mustard: Adds a bit of spice and savory flavor to the La Scala salad. It also binds to the oil and vinegar to keep the vinaigrette emulsified (mixed).
- Kosher Salt & Cracked Black Pepper: To bring out all of the delicious flavor.
- Grated Romano or Parmesan Cheese: Adds delicious cheesiness!
- Red Pepper Flakes: (Optional) Add for a little extra spice.
How to Make La Scala Salad
Super quick & easy, whip this La Scala salad together for a side or main dish that is sure to impress!
- Make the Dressing: To make the dressing add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and grated Romano cheese in a medium bowl. Whisk together until combined.
- Mix the Salad Ingredients: In a large bowl, add the chopped lettuce, chickpeas, salami, red onion, and shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Add the Dressing: Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and then gently toss to combine.
- Garnish and Serve: Top La Scala salad with additional Romano cheese and red pepper flakes. Then serve immediately and enjoy!
Variations to Try
Here are some ways your can customize your La Scala Salad and also make use of ingredients you already have on hand!
- More Protein Options: Make this salad a meal by adding more protein. Try grilled chicken, steak, salmon, or pepperoni.
- Make it Vegetarian: Leave out the salami and add more veggies to make this a vegetarian-friendly salad.
- Add More Veggies: This salad would be delicious with marinated artichokes, sliced bell peppers, or cucumbers. The sky is the limit!
- Switch Up the Cheese: Use parmesan cheese in place of Romano cheese. Pepper Jack cheese would also be so tasty! Use any cheese your heart desires.
Serve Right Away
Serve this incredible La Scala salad immediately for best results! The dressing makes the lettuce soggy the longer it sits, so pouring the dressing on the salad ahead of time isn’t recommended. Pour and toss in the dressing right before serving and enjoy!
Pin this now to find it later
To make the dressing add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and grated Romano cheese in a medium bowl. Whisk together until combined.
In a large bowl, add the chopped lettuce, chickpeas, salami, red onion, and shredded mozzarella cheese.
Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and gently toss to combine.
Top with additional Romano cheese and red pepper flakes.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Serving: 1cupCalories: 397kcalCarbohydrates: 4gProtein: 14gFat: 36gSaturated Fat: 10gPolyunsaturated Fat: 4gMonounsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 1228mgPotassium: 273mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 2328IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 140mgIron: 1mg
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.