Nutty, sweet, and soft, these chocolate chip pistachio cookies are a must-try dessert! They’re super easy to whip up and absolutely irresistible.
Is there anything better than a batch of homemade cookies? Fire up the oven, because here are a few great cookie recipes you’ll have to try next: white chocolate macadamia nut cookies, copycat Crumbl cookies, or orange creamsicle cookies!
Chocolate Chip Pistachio Cookies
Pistachio cookies are a fun twist on regular chocolate chip cookies. They’ve got that classic cookie taste but with a nutty surprise! The recipe mixes finely ground pistachios and chopped salted pistachios, giving the cookies a unique flavor and a pop of color.
Not only do they taste amazing, but they also look pretty cool with those green specks in the golden dough. So, if you’re into trying something a bit different but still want that classic cookie vibe, these pistachio cookies are the way to go! They’re perfect for any occasion or just when you need a tasty snack to treat yourself. Plus, they’re super easy to make so it’s a win-win! Nutty, chocolatey goodness in a snap.
Ingredients in Pistachio Cookies
Get ready to try these amazing pistachio chocolate chip cookies! They’re a delicious twist on classic chocolate chip cookies, and the best part is, you probably have most of the ingredients you need right in your kitchen. Packed with crunchy chopped pistachios and yummy chocolate chips, it’s a perfect mix of nutty and sweet. Note: exact measurements are in the recipe card below.
- Shelled Raw Pistachios: Add a delicious nutty flavor and a touch of green color to the cookies.
- Unsalted Butter (Softened): The butter makes the cookies rich and moist, giving them that perfect soft texture.
- Granulated Sugar: Sweetens the dough and gives the cookies their classic sweetness.
- Large Egg (Room Temperature): Binds the ingredients together and adds moisture for a chewy texture.
- Vanilla Extract: Adds a delightful vanilla aroma and enhances the overall flavor of the pistachio cookies. I recommend using pure vanilla extract for the best flavor!
- Almond Extract: A splash of almond extract provides a lovely nutty undertone to complement the pistachios.
- All-Purpose Flour: The main dry ingredient that gives structure to the cookies.
- Cornstarch: Makes the cookies tender and contributes to their softness.
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda: The leavening agents that help the cookies rise and become fluffy.
- Salt: Balances the sweetness and enhances the flavors. Just a pinch is all you need!
- Salted Pistachios (Roughly Chopped): More pistachios for added crunch and a hint of saltiness.
- Chocolate Chips: Brings a delightful touch of chocolatey goodness to the cookies. I used semi-sweet chocolate chips, but milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or even white chocolate will work!
Pistachio Cookie Recipe
Now that you’ve got your ingredients ready, here’s how to whip up a batch of these bad boys! Pistachio cookies are simple to prepare and will be ready in 30 minutes from start to finish.
- Preheat Oven, Prepare Pans: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Then set aside.
- Pistachio Powder: Add the pistachios to a food processor or blender and pulse until they are finely ground.
- Wet Ingredients: Add the butter and sugar to a large bowl. Use a stand mixer or hand mixer to beat them until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Then add the eggs, extracts, and ground pistachios and mix until combined.
- Dry Ingredients: Sift together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into the wet ingredients. Then mix until just combined.
- Add Chocolate Chips and Pistachios: Use a spatula to mix the chopped pistachios and chocolate chips into the dough by hand.
- Add to Pan: Use a medium cookie scoop (about 2-2 ½ tablespoons) to scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake: Bake for 10-11 minutes, until the edges are just starting to brown. Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for 3 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
Tips for the Best Cookies
These simple tips will help you create irresistibly nutty and chewy pistachio cookies that are sure to be a hit with everyone!
- Soften Butter Properly: Softened butter should be pliable but not melted. This will help it mix together with the other ingredients more smoothly! Leave it out at room temperature for about 30 minutes, or gently soften it in the microwave using short bursts to avoid melting.
- Don’t Overmix: When combining the wet and dry ingredients, mix until just combined. Overmixing the dough can lead to tough and dense cookies.
- Experiment with Nuts: While pistachios are the star here, you can get creative with other nuts too. Try using chopped almonds, walnuts, or even hazelnuts to customize the flavor and texture of your cookies.
- Mind the Baking Time: Keep a close eye on the cookies while baking. They’re ready when the edges are just starting to turn golden brown. Remember that they’ll continue to firm up as they cool. I will sometimes even pull them out of the oven while the centers are still slightly undercooked, as they’ll cook for another minute or two on the pan.
- Let Them Cool: Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack. This helps them set properly and avoid breaking.
Storing Leftover Cookies
If your eyes were bigger than your stomach and you made too many pistachio cookies, don’t worry! You can easily store them for later.
- At Room Temperature: Keep in an airtight container. Your cookies will stay good for about 4-5 days.
Can I Freeze Unbaked Dough?
Yes! I like to shape my dough beforehand, then transfer the cookie dough balls to a sealed bag and pop it in the freezer. The dough will stay good for about 2 months. When you’re ready to bake your cookies, you can thaw them first or bake them directly from the freezer. You may just need to add a few minutes of baking time.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
Add the pistachios to a food processor or blender and pulse until they are finely ground.
Add the butter and sugar to a large bowl. Use a stand mixer or hand mixer to beat them until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add the eggs, extracts, and ground pistachios and mix until combined.
Sift together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined.
Use a spatula to mix the chopped pistachios and chocolate chips into the dough by hand.
Use a medium cookie scoop (about 2-2 ½ tablespoons) to scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheets.
Bake for 10-11 minutes, until the edges are just starting to brown. Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for 3 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
Calories189kcal (9%)Carbohydrates19g (6%)Protein4g (8%)Fat12g (18%)Saturated Fat5g (25%)Polyunsaturated Fat2gMonounsaturated Fat4gTrans Fat0.2gCholesterol24mg (8%)Sodium72mg (3%)Potassium140mg (4%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar11g (12%)Vitamin A223IU (4%)Vitamin C1mg (1%)Calcium32mg (3%)Iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.