This Tuna Sandwich has a burst of flavor with every bite – tender tuna, tangy pickles, and an ingredient that gives this tuna a protein punch… cottage cheese! We promise you’ll never eat tuna another way again!
Why This is The Most Amazing Tuna Sandwich Ever.
For a long time I would make tuna salad by throwing it in the bowl and adding a few standard ingredients.. adding this and that until it felt right. And it was… perfectly fine. I like tuna sandwiches. But recently I decided to go a little wild and try something new. And measure the ingredients (gasp). And oh my goodness. It was a game changer!
For this version I added cottage cheese, lemon juice, fresh dill, and LOTS of pickles. Don’t be afraid of the cottage cheese. I know it sounds a bit strange. But it really just adds some great texture, nutrition, and moisture that I absolutely love. The lemon juice and fresh dill add a lovely bright flavor. And the pickles add a delicious, vinegary crunch. Piled into a sandwich, scooped up with crackers, or eaten with a fork. It’s seriously tasty.
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make This Tuna Sandwich:
- Canned Tuna– I used albacore tuna, packed in water.
- Mayonnaise– I used regular mayonnaise- use your favorite brand here. You can substitute greek yogurt if desired.
- Cottage Cheese– It might sound odd, but trust me here! It boosts the nutrition, stretches the tuna, and really makes this tuna salad creamy and delicious.
- Dijon Mustard– Adds a nice tangy flavor. You can also use yellow mustard.
- Dill Pickles– My perfect tuna sandwich is heavy on pickles! If you’re not a big fan, cut back or (gasp) leave them out if necessary.
- Fresh Dill– Fresh dill adds a bright, fresh flavor that really compliments the ingredients in this salad.
- Lemon Juice– Fresh lemon juice is best.
- Salt & Pepper– Season to taste.
How to Make The Best Tuna Sandwich:
- Drain the tuna. Make sure to drain your tuna well. We’re adding lots of flavorful ingredients that will add plenty of moisture.
- Add ingredients to a mixing bowl. Add the tuna, pickles, cottage cheese, mayonnaise, dill, mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper to a bowl. Stir gently to combine. Taste, and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Assemble the sandwiches. Top bread with a generous layer of tuna salad and some lettuce, if desired. Or, serve with crackers or enjoy right out of the bowl. Yum!!
Tips & Suggestions:
What goes well in a tuna fish sandwich?
Tuna goes great with so many different ingredients and flavor profiles. Here are some other things you can try:
- Fresh Herbs: Try basil, thyme, parsley, or chives.
- Add Extra Veggies: Diced red onion, celery, radishes, shredded carrots, or bell pepper add extra nutrition and great crunch.
- Flavor Boost: Add extra flavor with seasonings like onion powder, garlic powder, cracked black pepper, dried oregano, marjoram, cayenne pepper, or curry powder.
- Creamy Factor: Make it extra creamy and delicious by adding cream cheese, mayonnaise, greek yogurt, ranch dressing, or avocado.
- Sandwich Toppings: Try stacking your sandwich with sliced tomatoes, cheddar cheese, spinach, banana peppers, sliced cucumbers, or hard-boiled eggs.
What should I serve with tuna salad?
Serve tuna salad on bread, with crackers, on a bed of lettuce, tossed with cooked pasta, or in a wrap. It’s also delicious served in an avocado half.
How long does tuna salad last?
While most tuna salad tastes best when enjoyed the day it is made, it will last 3-4 days in the fridge in an airtight container. Because it contains perishable ingredients, make sure that it stays cold and doesn’t rest too long at room temperature.
More Delicious Sandwich Recipes:
Tuna Salad Sandwich
This Tuna Sandwich has a burst of flavor with every bite – tender tuna, tangy pickles, and an ingredient that gives this tuna a protein punch…cottage cheese! We promise you’ll never eat tuna another way again!
Servings: 4 sandwiches
Drain tuna and add to a medium bowl. Add mayonnaise, cottage cheese, dijon mustard, diced dill pickles, fresh dill, and lemon juice. Gently stir everything together to combine.
Top 4 slices of bread each with a lettuce leaf and an even amount of the tuna salad mixture. Top with the remaining bread slices and cut in half. Enjoy!
Calories: 210kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0.01g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 687mg | Potassium: 206mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 90IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 125mg | Iron: 2mg
I’m a registered dietitian, mom of 4, avid lover of food and strong promoter of healthy habits. Here you will find lots of delicious recipes full of fruits and veggies, tips for getting your kids to eat better and become intuitive eaters and lots of resources for feeding your family.