At the end of last year, the analytical company IDC published the results of global sales of used and refurbished smartphones. The report clearly shows that customers are no longer so interested in new devices, and more and more often reach for the so-called. drugs. Compared to 2021, in 2022 we bought such used phones by 11.5% more (253.4 million units versus 282.6 million units).
In 2022, used smartphone sales accounted for 26% of all devices sold in North America, but the rest of the world accounted for 74%. Regardless, we have a strong growth in this regard
Lenovo ThinkPhone by Motorola – a smartphone with solutions for entrepreneurs. The perfect companion for your ThinkPad
However, IDC does not stop only at analyzing the last few months, but also estimates that this trend (interest in used smartphones) will continue at least until 2026, when we are to purchase approximately 413 million used smartphones globally. However, this state of affairs should not be surprising and you do not need to be a qualified analyst to guess why we are more and more willing to choose used models.
Last year, used smartphone sales accounted for 26% of all devices sold in North America, but in the rest of the world the figure was as high as 74%
You have to start with the fact that new smartphones are currently being sold at ever higher, sometimes horrendous prices. In addition, there is the issue of technological stagnation (the phone from two years ago is almost no different from this year’s premieres in terms of usability – at least for most users). Buying used models is also supported by the fact that selected manufacturers provide smartphones with updates longer than just two years, at least those related to security.